Book: Second Childhood

Today I finished reading a book called “Second Childhood” by Morris Gleitzman. The story’s about a boy called Mark Smalley. His father was always pressuring him to do well in school and be a somebody, but looking at Mark’s grades, the chances of hom being a somebody was very slim. However, things change when Mark, his bother Daryl, and his friends Pino, Rufus and Annie find out that they had once been a famous people people and animals in history through “reincarnation”! But they soon realise that they were responsible for several of the world’s problems. Inventing cars (Which are part of making pollution) and being a racehorse (Which started people’s gambling habits) were some of the big problems that they had caused. Well Mark, his brother and his friends decided that they had to make up for these things they had done wrong in history. Together, they came up with plans to make up for their terrible mistakes!

I often think about “reincarnation”. Did we have another life in history? Well, it really is a mystery to us right now…

I enjoy reading Morris Gleitzman’s books. I really like it how he adds humour into his stories, to make them funny and more enjoyable. When I picked up the book, I looked at the front cover. An important moral is to never judge a book by it’s cover! Even though there’s a picture of a horse on there, doesn’t mean the story is about a horse. A lot of books have a picture of an event in the book as the front cover. I love it when you reach the part of a book where you can tell straight away that that particular event is the picture illustrated on the front cover of the book. I turn back to look at the front cover when I read this event and think, “That’s the picture on the front cover. So that is what the front cover is all about!”